Monday, September 16, 2013

Week of Sep 16

 
This week has been another fast one. Things have just been going so fast recently, I hardly remember anything unless it is monumental. So it is a good thing I have been writing in my journal and am keeping all my letters. Dad, how much of your mission do you remember? Was most of it a blur? I don't remember too many stories from your mission, do you just not remember many like I feel like I won't one day?  There are a few things that I do remember this week though that have been rather large. We went the the Nationals game to represent the church at the kick off of the service thingy which was great and a ton of fun. I always love going into DC, especially on the metro. We had a zone conference that lasted 8 hours-ish, but it was great because President Riggs taught a lot of it and he is pretty stellar. Both Mom's, my and probably your prayers came through. I so deeply respect and love my leader, which makes it 10000000000 times easier to want to obey rules and do the things he asks. I don't know what would have happened otherwise, I guess Ill just be grateful for what I have. We talked all about prayer and it was great, because I really really like prayers and it is one of the very most basic points of the gospel that really resonates with me.
 
Have you seen the new Mormon message series entilted Daily Bread? You should if you haven't and do some cool family home evening on it and make everyone be there. It talks about the necessity of daily communion with God in the same way we need daily food and water as sustinence or we cannot survive. Through dwelling in the presence of God we can provide the sustinece our spirit needs to not only survive but to flourish. We need to elevate ourselves to a higher plane of spiritual sensitivity and strength. When we pray daily, really conversing and sharing with God while letting him respond, we can elevate ourselves. When we thoroughly read and study the scriptures in a new way applying them to our busy lives we can elevate ourselves. When we simply love one another and show that God loves them through our own actions we can elevate ourselves. We must continue progressing spiritualy. If we are not climbing upward towards God we are falling down the other way. I have seen this in particular with one Man in particular. His lack of daily interaction with God with real intnent is holding him back. He is sooo soo soooooo close to baptism. His wife was recently baptized and he has even told us that he knows that everything is true. He just does not have a strong enough personal feeling to make a promise with God, which is fair enough, but we and he knows exactly how he can get that feeling. He just won't do it. This saturday we had one of the most spiritually intense lessons I have ever had on my mission. We showed all the right scriptures with powerful testimony with so much love and happiness directed by 4 missionaries (the sisters are teaching the family with us). After all this from us and his wife, he would not pray. We invited and invited but he wouldn't come down to his knees to pray with us. I tried grabbing is hand to pull him down to pray with us and then we waited and asked for literally 45 minutes on our knees. Forty minutes of that waiting in silent prayer pleading with Heavenly Father to give this man whatever he needed to begin praying. It is so frustrating; I think this is what is holding him back, because he can't truly obtain that conviction to commit if he doesn't act first, it is just not how God works. Obviously this isn't your trouble but I would challenge you and the family to do better in your prayers. Find ways to change them and  truly make them in the name of Christ, using His words and His desires for your surroundings. I know when we make an effort to change ourselves and transform our desires, God will make it possible. 
 
I love you all so much. Keep doing what I know you do.
 
Love,
 
Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment